Cooking is a chore always assigned to my mom and dad at home. Although I graduated with a background in food but I am not really into cooking. My contribution is to taste and "evaluate" their finished products and give comments afterwards. And one of my mom's best recipe is the Pancit Miki Guisado. This recipe is mainly made of pork and pancit miki but you can choose to enhance the taste by adding shrimp and of course more vegetables.
Here is mom's Pancit Miki Guisado Recipe:
1/2 K miki (noodles)
1/4 pork perna / adobo cut ( sliced into small parts)
1/4 K shrimp (peeled off)
2 standard sized carrots (sliced )
1 cabbage (sliced)
2 tbsp. sliced onion leaves
1 red bellpepper (sliced)
3 tbsp. of minced garlic
1 onion, thinly sliced
6 tbsps. of cooking oil
2 cups hot water
Soy Sauce/ Oyster Sauce*
Seasonings (MSG/Magic Sarap)*
- Wash fresh Miki in running water to remove its saltiness and oiliness.
- Heat the cooking oil in the skillet.
- Saute shrimp until it becomes pink. Set Aside.
- Add the pork fat until the oil is thoroughly removed.
- Add and saute garlic and onion together with sliced pork
- Add shrimp, cabbage, carrots, salt, pepper, sugar and seasonings.
- Mix together then set aside 3/4 parts.
- Add hot water then add Miki.
- Occasionally stir and taste. Adjust the taste by adding seasonings*.
- When cooked, add the 3/4 parts of the ingredients (usually as topping).
- Garnish with red bell pepper and onion leaves.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
It can also be eaten as is or paired with bread. This Pancit Miki Guisado recipe is always part of our weekly diet because the ingredients are readily available and cooking can be done easily.